ASIC’s approach to enforcement
This information sheet (INFO 151) is for:
- people who report misconduct by entities we regulate
- people asked to assist in ASIC investigations, and
- the general public.
It explains how we approach our enforcement role and why we respond to particular types of breaches of the law in different ways.
Enforcement action is one of several regulatory tools available to us. We use enforcement to deter misconduct. Other regulatory tools that we use are engagement with industry and stakeholders, surveillance, guidance, education, and policy advice. This document only discusses enforcement action.
It covers the following topics:
- our regulatory powers
- how we select matters for formal investigation
- what enforcement ‘tools’ are available to ASIC
- how we decide which enforcement ‘tools’ to use
- how we interact with people during investigations and enforcement actions; and
- cooperating with ASIC.
This is Information Sheet 151 (INFO 151). Information sheets provide concise guidance on a specific process or compliance issue or an overview of detailed guidance.